Drinking Hx (EtOH, Alcohol)
- Beer: heavy, light
- Wine: cask, bottles, fortified
- Mixed drinks, shots
- Other: petrol, methanol..
- Bottles, cans, glasses
- Binges vs regular consumption
- Who with: work colleagues, sport, partner
- Where: pub, home, street, work
- Underlying reasons
- Men: ? depression/psych issues
- CAGE Questions
- Used to assess if pt at risk of EtOH harms &/or dependance
- Do you think you should Cut down?
- Do you get Annoyed when people tell you to stop?
- Do you feel Guilty about drinking?
- Do you need an Eye opener in the morning?
- Level of current function
- ? Quit attempts
- 1 standard drink = 10g EtOH (In Aus)
- Glasses of wine (12%)
- 100ml standard = 1
- 180ml average = 1.8
- 750 ml Bottles
- Wine 12% = 7
- Spirits 40% = 24
NHMRC Guidelines (2009)
- 2 days EtOH free per week
- Not >2 per day
- Not >4 on any occassion
- Male = Female
- <15yrs at greatest risk of harm
- 15-17yrs delay initiation as long as possible
- Beri Beri
- Mallory Weis Tears
- Effect on life
- Risky behaviour: rape, violence..
- Examine for evidence of associated conditions
- Hepatosplenomegaly: portal hypertension, alcoholic hepatitis
- Shrunken liver: cirrhosis
- Mx of EtOH Dependance
NHMRC – Australian Guidelines To Reduce Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol 2009